Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Impressions

So I've been in Bangkok for almost a week now, had a chance to try the food, meet some students, and wander the streets on my own. First impressions? Its pretty nice here, especially after reading the weather reports from back home.

On Sunday, I went to the Chatuchak Weekend Market with Jeremy Jones. 35 acres of outdoor stalls, selling everything under the sun, from clothes to food to pets to shoes to massages to CDs. We must've tried at least 7 or 8 different food vendors. You can get tropical fruit in a bag, cut up, server with a stick, for 15 baht. Chicken on a stick was 10 baht. A steamed shrimp and pork dumpling was 5 baht. This amazing Thai crepe, filled with a thin layer of cream and shredded coconut, was on 7 baht! (I'll post the video of it being made once I figure out how).

Tuesday was my first day of class. The concept of time in Thailand is less strict than in Western society, so students walk in 5 minute, 10 minutes late. Classes also tend to run past their break and over time, and its considered common. Classes here are 3 1/2 hours, with one half hour break. My first class was Corporate Social Responsibility, co-taught by a Thai professor and a Harvard Law Professor. In our first class, we learned everyone except CSR, from the history of China to cause of the current financial crisis to why certain words only exist in certain languages. I got into my first Sasin group, 3 "farangs" (foreigners) and 5 Thai students doing a report on the sustainability of Siam Cement.

Wednesday I was able to wander about on my own. Went to the local mall, the MBK, to get some lunch at the food court. There, you have to buy coupons, and pay for your meal with coupons instead of cash. A lot of variety, though, from different curries, rice dishes, noodle soups, to Chinese and Indian foods as well. I took the Skytrain (similar to the L in Chicago) to the Immigration Bureau to extend my visa, and then walked over to another mall to hit the Fedex. Also managed to do my laundry as well. Its important to know some basic Thai, even though most people know some English - I'm working on remembering the numbers, 1-10: neung, song, sam, see, hah, hok, jed, bad, gao, sip.

Looking forward to my first weekend in Bangkok! Will hit some touristy sites tomorrow and then Sunday is Sports day at the university. Planning a couple excursions as well, Koh Panang and Koh Pi pi? Siam Riep and Luang Prabang?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an incredible experience. Enjoy those islands for us... snowed about 6" in Durham yesterday.

    ReplyDelete